Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Time to Pretend" MGMT

Loved this song & played it three times in a row.   Then came home, smoked more, and heard it played on a TV show I was watching.  Freaked me out, but that could just be the drugs.   Anyways....At this point in my life I'm finally not pretending or trying to be anyone else.   Took 42 years, but I'm happy where I'm at.  

Just this year I finally started enjoying the "fruits of my labor", as they say.   Seems like DH & I had been saving for so long, with mutual funds, 401k plans, savings accounts, stocks, etc.   Both of our parents were short on cash & have to be conservative in their golden years so we were determined to not be in that situation ourselves.  We recently took a step back & realized we were very financially secure.   Yet the mentality of saving (you might say being cheap) is hard to break.  Until this year.

I've worked since I was 15 and now I feel safe enough to enjoy it.   So I bought the $400 purse.    I don't even bother going through ticketmaster anymore, I prefer to select my exact seat location from Stubhub, even if it's more expensive.  No more nosebleeds!  DS will always be in first-level seats at any concerts/games he goes to.  I go to Whole Foods weekly & no longer have to even look at the prices of whatever goes into my cart.   Some of my friends are in the same situation, for the first time in their lives.  My BFF recently got a new "luxury" brand car.   This girl was a latch-key kid who grew up without a father and a mother who worked long hours.   She's been practically on her own since she was 15 years old.   She works hard, is a great mom, and totally deserves to drive a nice car now.   She earned it.  

But I do feel somewhat guilty when my co-workers, who I know make less, complain about bills, gas prices, etc.   I was there, not so long ago.   I clearly remember having less than $20 in my checking account and being unable to use the ATM.   I've paid for gas in quarters that I pilfered from my laundry money.   I've been $20k in credit card debit and was paying off college loans up until age 37.   I got out of it the old fashioned way...hard work & saving money.    And destroying all my credit cards.  I didn't get bailed out by mommy & daddy, I did it all myself.   And now I'm enjoying it!

Maybe it's like a freedom that comes with age.   I don't censor myself as much and I don't care if people don't like me, what I wear, or what I say.   I've got a loving family, fantastic friends, a great house, nice stuff and the money to do what I want (within reason).  So now I'm doing what I want.  You don't like it?   Oh well, sucks for you.  

"I'm feeling rough I'm feeling raw
I'm in the prime of my life
Let's make some music, make some money
Find some models for wives
I'll move to Paris shoot some heroin
And fuck with the stars
You man the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars"

No comments:

Post a Comment