Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sentimental Street

Good god, Night Ranger made me cry!    My job is ending in the near future and everyone at work has been telling stories of our past glory days, then this song comes on.   Plus I've got PMS and only 3 weeks post-Celexa so this was a recipe for disaster.  But this song isn't work-related, it's definately my hometown & all the people I knew/know there.

I've got a love-hate relationship with MyHometown.   I always miss it when I haven't been back in a while.   And when people ask where I'm from I automatically say MyHometown instead of MyCurrentCity, even though I"ve been here for 17 years.   Whenever I visit I love the 1st day & usually take a drive past the old houses I lived in & schools I attended.   I love seeing the changes but it's been pretty depressing lately.   Many shops I remember have been boarded up, or turned into dollar stores or CVSs.   So by the second day I hate that places close at 9 pm, there is no good sushi, and no one can drive.   I feel superior to everyone still suck in this dying post-industrial dead-end town. Especially my former classmates who never left, and never will, and will spend their entire lives in the same zipcode.   So I can't wait to get back here to MetroDC.   Once I'm back I immediately start missing MyHometown, where the people are nicer, traffic is less congested, and I have friends who've known me for 20+ years.   Love-hate, I tell you!

I guess it's not the place, but the memories of how things were in my childhood/teen years that I miss.   It's just my youth, which isn't going to be found in MyHometown or anywhere else.   Being there makes me     question why I left, even though I'm 100% sure it was the right decision for my career, my sanity, and now my child (which I didn't know at the time).  DS will be much better off growing up here with so many more opportunites then he could never have back there.   But he won't be able to get to the beach in an hour, or take the train to NYC, or go to the Lggy, Spaceland, or the rapids.  But it's for the best, even if I'm not always sure.

"Out on Sentimental Street in the avenues
Take a good hard look
There ain't nothing ever new
Out on Sentimental Street in the avenues
Will you ever find out
Guess I'll leave it up to you"




No comments:

Post a Comment